onsdag den 11. oktober 2017

Varivas Avani Casting Max PE8 - "weak" but within the accepted range

In August, I bought a new spool of Varivas Avani Casting Max PE8 at Veals in the UK. On the package it says 112 lbs average strength. But it can also be much lower and still be within the accepted strength of the factory...

I have used this braid before with great success for GTs in both PE8 and PE10. The old spool of PE8 had an FG knot strength of around 42-43 kilos. I measured the FG knot strength of the new spool between 24 and 35 kilos - a very wide gap. Most results were around 26-28 kilos which made me believe that this was a 70-80lbs braid PE5-6. Though the diameter was identical (by eye) to the old spool.

I sent it back to the shop and they sent me a new spool while Varivas UK would send the other one back to testing on their factory in Japan.

The new spool had the same strength: 26-28 kilos.

At this time I actually got my money back from the store. I had politely given Varivas UK the choice of sending me a "decent" spool of braid or make a refund. They chose the latter.

Today, I got an email from Varivas UK, saying that they had got the results from Japan:

"The average break strength over 5 tests is at the very low edge of our accepted range for this product.

No1.39.14kg

No2.36.33kg

No3.36.00kg

No4.33.45kg

No5.33.34kg


Average 35.65kg".

So 80 lbs strength - far from 112 lbs - but still within the accepted range?!?!

I think the conclusions must be: Always test your braid. You never know the strength. Not even when the braid comes from a highly regarded Japanese company.

At last, I must say that Veals and Varivas have dealt with this in a very professional way. But I don't think it will be Varivas for me next time.
posted from Bloggeroid

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar